Friday, June 6, 2008

To infinity...and beyond!

I've always wanted to make an infinity dress. For those of you who don't know what it is, its a halter top style dress with very long straps that can be wrapped and knotted numerous ways. If you look at the pic below, the straps are attached at the waist and then come up over my shoulders, cross in the back, then they cross again around my waist and are tied in the back. It's fun experimenting with all the ways I can wrap this shirt.

Originally, I wanted to make a dress, but in my search for ideas, I found someone who paired a shirt with a skirt. This way, I have the option of wearing the top with pants, other skirts, or the matching skirt. Fun stuff!

Here's the tutorial I based my infinity shirt/dress on, but I did change a few things like the length of the dress as well as the length of the straps. I also added extra fabric in the band for modesty and I left the fabric square to get the hankerchief hem. http://rowena.typepad.com/rostitchery/2006/06/one_seam_conver.html



Here it is as just a top. The straps are quite wide so I can scrunch them up like a tank top or spread them out to get a cap sleeve.


Here is the infinity top with the matching skirt. I'm debating how often I will wear the matching skirt - does it seem a little 'too' formal to you? I was hoping to wear it to church, but I may save it for weddings or formal occasions. Hmmmm.

Thanks for looking, and I'd love to read your comments!

1 comment:

rowena___. said...

wow, i love how this turned out! the assymetrical hem lovely, and the whole thing is very flattering on you. congratulations on a job well done!